SDÜ Diş Hekimliği Fakültesi Dergisi, Cilt 2, Sayı 2 (2010)

THE PREVALENCE OF DENTAL CARIES IN PERMANENT DENTITION FOR 12-YEAR-OLD SCHOOL CHILDREN IN NORTHERN PALESTINE [Kuzey Filistin'de 12 Yaşındaki Okul Çocuklarında Daimi Dişlenme Döneminde Diş Çürüğü Görülme Sıklığı]

Bara SABHA, Emad HUSSEİN, Mahmoud ABU MOWAİS, Mohammed HUSSEİN, Raed MUCHAİMER

Özet


ABSTRACT

Aim: To determine the prevalence of dental caries among a representative sample of 12-year-old school children in Northern Palestine, and to evaluate the oral health status of the Palestinian children.

Materials and Methods: 357 children were screened for dental caries, missing teeth due to caries and existing fillings. The screening was performed according to the WHO method.

Results: 84% of the sample (300 children) had dental caries as expressed with DMFT index mean which was found to be 3.45, whereas the other 16% of the sample was caries free. Girls had a higher mean DMFT score compared with the boys: 3.94 vs. 3.04. The Care Experience Index was very low: 6.7% (7.5% for males and 5.8% for females).

Conclusion: The results of this study provided evidence that the oral health programs in the schools of Northern Palestine need improvement and emphasis should be placed on oral hygiene instructions and preventive dentistry.

Keywords:DMFT, Palestinian Children, Permanent Teeth, Preventive Programs

ÖZET

Amaç: Kuzey Filistinli çocukları temsil eden 12 yaşında daimi dişlenme dönemindeki okul çocuklarından oluşturulan örnekleminde diş çürüğü görülme sıklığının ve ağız sağlığının değerlendirilmesi.

Gereç ve Yöntem: 357 çocuk diş çürükleri ve mevcut dolgular ve diş çürükleri nedeniyle eksik, olan dişlerin tespiti için tarandı. Tarama WHO metoduna göre yapıldı.
Bulgular: Örneklemin(300 çocuk) %84’ü DMFT indeksi ile ortalaması 3.45 ifade olarak değere göre çürük dişlere sahipken, numunenin diğer %16’sında çürük bulunamamıştır. Kızların DMFT skoru erkeklere göre daha yüksek bulunmuştur: 3.94 vs 3.04. Ağız Bakımı Deneyim İndeksi çok düşük bulunmuştur.: %6.7 (erkeklerde %7.5, kızlarda % 5.8).

Sonuç: Bu çalışmanın sonuçları Kuzey Filistin’deki okullarda diş sağlığı programlarının geliştirilmesi ve oral hijyen talimatları ve koruyucu diş hekimliği üzerine gerekli vurgulamanın yapılması gerektiğini kanıtlamıştır.

Anahtar kelimeler:DMFT, Filistinli Çocuklar, Daimi Dişler, Koruyucu Programlar

Tam Metin: TAM METİN-FULL TEXT (PDF)